January 2021 Agenda
NOTICE AND AGENDA
Digital Transparency Task Force
Fair Political Practices Commission
1102 Q Street, Suite 3800
Sacramento, CA 95811
Friday, January 22, 2021
Public comments may be submitted in real time by
following the link to our new public participation portal!
Under Government Code section 11123(a), all meetings of a state body are open and public, and all persons are permitted to attend any meeting of a state body, except as otherwise provided in that article.
Pursuant to Executive Order N-29-20, certain provisions of the Bagley Keene Open Meeting Act are suspended due to a State of Emergency in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. Consistent with the Executive Order, this Task Force meeting will be conducted by teleconference only. None of the locations from which Task Force Members will participate will be open to the public. Members of the public who wish to observe the meeting may do so via YouTube or via telephone by calling (877) 411-9748; access code 723284. Members of the public who wish to comment during the meeting may do so by telephone or using the Commission’s public participation portal found at http://mediasite.fppc.ca.gov/.
Persons who, due to a disability, need assistance in order to participate in this meeting should, prior to the meeting, contact the Commission Assistant at (916) 322-5745 (voice), CommAsst@fppc.ca.gov (e-mail) and ADACoordinator@fppc.ca.gov. TTY/TDD and Speech-to-Speech users may dial 7-1-1 for the California Relay Service to submit comments on an agenda item or to request special accommodations for persons with disabilities.
Richard C. Miadich, Chair
1-6. General Items
1. Public Comment for Items not on Agenda. During this comment period, any person is invited to speak on any topic that is not listed on this agenda. Action may not be taken on any matter raised during this public comment period until the matter is specifically listed on a future agenda. Those who wish to comment on an item that has been listed on this agenda may comment when that item has been opened for consideration by the Task Force and before any action is taken.
2. Approval of December 2020 meeting minutes.
3. Representatives from Google will present an overview of their political advertising products and transparency report.
4. Presentation on Facebook Ads. Sarah Schiff, Product Manager, Facebook. Ms. Schiff will present on Facebook’s transparency efforts regarding ads, including Facebook’s Ad Library.
5. Identified Formatting Issues with DISCLOSE Act and Discussion on how to Rectify Those Issues. Trent Lange, President, California Clean Money Campaign.
6. Trends and Emerging Issues Regarding Digital Political Speech and Advertising From the 2020 Election Cycle. Staff: Jay Wierenga, Communications Director and Erika Boyd, Senior Commission Counsel.
You can obtain further information about the meeting by contacting the Commission Assistant, 1102 Q Street, Suite 3000, Sacramento, CA, 95811, Tel. (916) 322-5745. Written comments on agenda items should be submitted to the Commission no later than 12:00 p.m. the day before the meeting in order to afford the Members adequate time to fully consider the comments. E-mail comment letters directly to CommAsst@fppc.ca.gov.
The agenda and related documents are posted on the FPPC website at www.fppc.ca.gov. Materials submitted by the public regarding each agenda item will be made available at the meeting and on the website.
Members of the public may listen to the meeting by phone by calling (877) 411-9748; access code 723284; or watch the meeting via YouTube.
The meeting location is accessible to the disabled. Persons who, due to a disability, need assistance in order to participate in this meeting should, prior to the meeting, contact the Commission Assistant at (916) 322-5745 or CommAsst@fppc.ca.gov and ADACoordinator@fppc.ca.gov. TTY/TDD and Speech-to-Speech users may dial 7-1-1 for the California Relay Service to submit comments on an agenda item or to request special accommodations for persons with disabilities. Please allow three business days between the request and the meeting date.